Invoice and Budget Methods
Set up billing rates and track budgets for your projects.
Setting up an Invoice Method
You can set an invoice method when you are creating or editing a project.
- Task hourly rate – Associates an hourly rate with tasks. When you are creating or editing a project, enter task rates, and mark whether they are billable.
- Person hourly rate – Allows you to enter a different hourly rate for each person. When you are creating or editing a project, enter staff rates, and mark your billable tasks.
- Project hourly rate – Tracks one hourly rate for the entire project. When you are creating or editing a project, mark your billable tasks.
If you do not bill by task, project, or person hourly rate, select “do not apply hourly rate."
Setting up a Budget
You can set a budget method for a project under Manage > Projects. When you click into a project, you can choose one of the following budget methods:
- Total project hours – Tracks the budget based on all time tracked to a project. This includes billable and non-billable hours.
- Total project fees – Tracks the budget based on expected costs. Total project fees are billable hours multiplied by hourly rate. You can include project expenses in the budget.
- Hours per task – Tracks the budget based on hours entered for each task when you are creating or editing a project.
- Hours per person – Tracks the budget based on hours entered for each person when you are creating or editing a project.
If you would like everyone to be able to view the budget, select Show budget report to all employees and contractors. Otherwise, only administrators and project managers see the budget. You can track your budget under Reports > Project Status.
Budget emails are sent the day a project goes over budget. They work like this:
Who Receives Budget Emails
- Project managers always receive budget emails. Administrators on the project only receive budget emails if no one is designated as project manager.
- Regular users receive budget emails only if Show budget report to all employees and contractors is selected.
When Emails are Sent
- Your team goes over budget today. An email is generated at 3 AM EST.
- Then, emails are sent every week from your first budget email.
You’ll receive the budget alert until the project is over, if the budget is updated so that you’re no longer going over, or if someone turns off budget alerts.