If you’re an Administrator or Manager in Harvest, we know you have a lot on your plate when it comes to managing projects. Before you can even manage the hours and expenses your folks are tracking, you first need to add them to projects, which can be daunting when someone needs to be assigned to several (or even all) projects for your company. After updating a few individual projects you might think, “There’s gotta be a better way!”
Well, we agree. Since Harvest aims to help teams spend time wisely, we have a feature that speeds up this process!
How to assign a person to multiple (or even all!) projects
You can add someone to multiple projects right from the Assigned projects section in their User Profile in just a few minutes. Here’s what to do:
- Head to Team.
- Click the Actions dropdown to the right of the teammate you’d like to update and select Edit.
- On the profile, choose the Assigned projects tab on the left menu.
- Click into the Find and select projects to assign field at the top of the projects list.
- To assign someone to specific projects: Start typing a project name and choose the project you’d like to assign the person to. Repeat this process until all of the desired projects have been added. Click the green Assign projects button when you’re done.
- To assign someone to all projects: Choose Assign to all projects at the bottom right of the drop-down menu.
- If you’d like to also automatically assign this person to all future projects, first choose Assign to all projects and be sure to check the Also assign to all future projects checkbox. Click the green Assign all projects button. Set it and forget it! We love that.
With that done, your teammates can begin tracking time immediately to any of the projects you’ve selected for them!
When else can I use this?
If you’ve recently restored an archived person to your account, you might notice that they weren’t automatically restored on projects they were previously assigned to. To save time, use the steps outlined above to quickly restore them to any projects they need to access.
The Assigned projects section can be used for more than just bulk assigning teammates to projects.
First, you can use this section to quickly update which projects a Manager or Administrator manages. To do this, check the box in the Manages this project column next to any project, and the change will sync in the account automatically.
Secondly, while we’ve been focused on how to bulk add someone to projects, the Assigned projects section can also be used to bulk remove someone from projects. To do this, click the X to the left of any project to unassign that teammate. This will prevent them from tracking further time or expenses to that unassigned project, but will keep any existing entries intact for reporting and invoices purposes.
So next time a teammate asks “Why can’t I track time for that project?”, we hope you keep this time-saving tip in mind! For more help with Harvest, head to our Help Center or shoot us a message at email@example.com. We’re always happy to lend a hand!